Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Final Tasting of Batch #17


Batch #17 was brewed for my brother's wedding in late September. I used many tradional wedding spices to give it an, "oh so special" vibe. My main goal is to be as spot on with temperature during primary fermenation. I was pretty pleased with it overall. With some of the ingredients (mainly cloves), this beer is a great winter brew. Last night we thought might be the best night to share the last bottle saved. I am almost regreting giving the 2nd to last bottle to our new neighbors as a house warming gift.

Right out the gate the cloves are present and dance nicely with the Belgian Ardennes yeast. I used fresh lemon and orange zest but coupled with that yeast and fermented at 78 degrees it was pleasently more sweet than dry. I laid off the Belgian grains with this recipe for no good reason except doing something completely opposite from Batch #15, a Lemon Rosemary Saison. My second regret was the length of time that I oaked it for. 30 days was not enough, or maybe I need another ounce of oak. It was more than mildly present.

Batch #17. Clove and Spice Saison
US 2 Row,  US White Wheat, Belgian Vienna, Belgian Cara 45, Flaked Maize and Carapils.
Mount Hood, Amarillo, and German Spalt Select Hops
Green Tea leaves, ground pepper, Rosemary, Parsley, Orange Zest, Lemon Zest, Cloves and Pinot Noir Oak Cubes
Wyeast Belgian Ardennes w/ starter.


Brewing Status:
Primary: Empty (first time in a long time)
Secondary: Single Hopped Pale Ale
Bottle Condioning: Rum Raisin Oatmeal Stout, Belgian Dubbel w/ Figs, Robust Porter w/ Molasses and Dates.
Up Next: Batch #18 (revised)- Imperial Chocolate Stout

No comments:

Post a Comment