Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Week 12: Man's Best Friend


1. Victory Storm King
2. Green Flash West Coast IPA
3. Southern Tier Unearthly Imperial IPA
4. Flying Dog Raging Bitch
5. Philadelphia Brewing Co. Kenzinger
6. Dogfish Head Burton Baton
7. Flying Dog Snake Bite IPA
8. Dogfish Head Theobroma.

How did that Storm King make it into this week's list?

Oh yes, this was basically an IPA week, but a couple of homebrews and cloans coupled a few elixirs from the list. Out in what is known as the "hillier" side of Philadelphia, I enjoyed a clone Imperial Stout, a la Storm King, from a good friend, great brewer and now neighbor. Consensus was that it might not have had the hops like The King, but it still commanded authority. Boozy in the nose, malty at the mouth. Basically just rich and roasty. There was also a homebrew Kolsch tapped. I have only had a couple of Kolsches, ever. I am not even sure if I can compare it with, say, a Philadelphia Kenzinger, but there was a crispness to it followed by a dry bitterness. I think some people feel the same way about Philly.

If you look at this list closely, then you notice the recurring word, dog. Swimming dogs and flying dogs: these can be your best friends. I was pretty stoked to see Dogfish Head's Burton Baton on the shelf at my local beer spot. Burton Baton is a unique brew. It's an oak aged English Strong Ale, blended with their 90 Minute IPA. It's a big beer, with big hop flavor and big on the malt to back(bone) it up. It goes down as smooth as silk though, but with a 11% ABV, it can be dangerous.

From a Delaware brew we soar down to Maryland's Flying Dog. Their Snake Bite IPA had less bite than I expected, but their Raging Bitch...well, the name speaks for itself. A Belgian-Style IPA that is well balanced to boot. Sweet, flowery and citrusy. If you love these two styles then you are in for a real treat to say the least.

There is another special beer on this list that deserves a special post. I have had more on my plate this week than in my glass, so look for another post in a few days.

Cheers for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment