Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Week 9: Feeling a bit Boozy


1. Philadelphia Brewing Co.
Rowhouse Red
2. Weyerbacher Hops Infusion
3. Flying Fish Abbey Dubbel
4. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot 2010
5. Dock Street Illuminator
6. Dock Street Rye IPA
7. Smuttynose Finestkind IPA
8. Iron Hill Bourbon Porter (on nitro)
9. Iron Hill American IPA (on cask)
I'm jumping the gun and declaring that Spring has arrived. Philadelphia has 50˚temperatures in the forecast all weekend and into next week. I am sure that the crowds are going to be buzzing throughout the streets in search of good times, good eats, and good brews.

I sought out a wildebeest this week and sure enough found the mighty Bigfoot stronger than the year before. This gigantic Barleywine from the craft brew veterans in Chico, CA, lifted me off my feet and wreaked havoc on my senses. Its sweet piney hops, citrus finish and malty backbone were a bit stronger than in '09, but also more complex. A sweet caramel and maple syrupy taste midway through gave way to almost a booze-like floral finish at the last few sips. Very tasty indeed.

I like a good Barleywine, but I love a great Porter. Iron Hill Brew Pubs have popped up in every county around Philadelphia. Part of me started to think that they were beginning to taste a bit formulaic with their seasonals, but I was happy to be proven wrong last night. They had roughly six or seven seasonals on tap, one hand pump and one nitro included. The Bourbon Porter was a velvety treat. Very heavy on the bourbon, it took their flagship Pig Iron Porter to a new level. Poured a very dark brown, it had a nice smooth malt taste throughout that was laced with vanilla, chocolate and coffee. The beer was creamy as can be and way too drinkable for being aged in bourbon barrels. I would steer clear of Iron Hills on the weekend unless you love an hour long wait, but worth it...of course.

Cheers for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment