Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Week 15: Time to Celebrate


1. 21st Amendment Brew Free or Die
2. Victory Helos
3. Union Barrel Works Bruges Baastard
4. Springhouse Brewing Robot Bastard Belgian IPA
5. Victory Donnybrook Stout
6. Caldera Brewing Co. IPA
7. Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Fritz and Ken's Ale

With a post very delayed and tired of not documenting what I have been drinking, I am now going to do my very best to deliver these weekly posts like I did all winter.

Where to even begin. The current motley crew listed above is more like 2 weeks of brews that made their way into my belly. It was very exciting to revisit the beautiful Oley Valley and hit up Union Jacks on the Manatawny this weekend. They have a nice selection of rotating drafts and this week the roulette wheel landed on two bastards. Yes, coincidentally, they had two brews with the name bastard in the title (one with two a's). I'm a big fan of Springhouse Brewing Co. They are out in Conestoga, PA, and I have never once been disappointed with what they have put out. Belgian IPAs are always a bit iffy for me. But they tempt me. The Robot Bastard was a bit more floral than hoppy with a pretty unusual taste that I still can't put my finger on. Very sweet to say the least though. It would have been worth a second tulip glass to be able to match the taste.

A couple canning breweries are in this list as well. 21st Amendment was pretty decent, textbook IPA. It is nothing to seek out. I'm hoping for some improvements in the future. I must say though that Caldera Brewing is right on the money. Their IPA was citrusy, piney and well balanced with a full-bodied mouth.

I was fortunate enough to get one of Sierra's 30th anniversary ales last month for my, yes, 3oth birthday. It was sitting for almost a month waiting to be uncorked. It made its way from California to Trenton, NJ, to my refrigerator in Philadelphia. Titled Fritz and Ken's ale, this brew is a collaboration with Fritz of Anchor Brewing. The 22 oz. stout poured a beautiful black color. Very rich and malty. A lip smacker to say the least with its carmel undertones. There are still a few more of these beers left in the series. Seek them out and share.

Cheers for now. Philly Beer Week is only two weeks away!


No comments:

Post a Comment